Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Reading


I have accumulated an aggressive stack of books to read in the next few weeks. This stack has developed because of some commitments I made in several circles. I am walking away from each reading session with a great deal to think about. More importantly, I am working hard at making immediate application of what I am taking in as I read.

Here is what's in the stack:

The Bible (one year reading plan)
In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day (Mark Batterson)
Coaching 101 (Robert Logan and Sherilyn Carlton)
Mentoring (Bob Biehl)
It's Your Ship (Captain D. Michael Abrashoff)

This morning I was finishing chapter two of Batterson's book. I was struck by this statement, "God wants you to get where God wants you to go more than you want to get where God wants you to go" (you may have to read that twice).

I have recently given great attention to the daily direction of my life and how that impacts the big picture. I want to go where God wants me to go. I want that more today than I did yesterday. For me, this is becoming more and more of a whole life proposition. This morning the Holy Spirit reminded me how passionate God is about me living more faithfully as a follower.

Batterson immediately sets this idea in a context I could totally understand. He talked about his relationship with his kids. You know, how he longs for them to win at life. As I read I thought, I totally get that. I paused for just a moment to say thanks to my heavenly father for the reminder that He wants me to win and is preparing a road ahead of me for that to be the case.

God, give me the wisdom and strength to order my steps each day that will take me where you want me to go.

No comments: