Friday, February 02, 2007

February Series @ Journey Church

This Sunday I'll begin a new four-week teaching series designed to unpack how we can more effectively manage stress. I have really enjoyed prepping for this series. I think we have locked into four key areas that bring the greatest level of stress. I am even more excited about the words we have attached with each stress point to help us better manage it.

The series flow looks like this:

Money : Margin 2/04/07
Relationships : Boundaries 2/11/07
Time : Priorities 2/18/07
Work : Significance 2/25/07

This weekend I'll be addressing the topic of money. It's curious to me how nervous people get when the financial conversation surfaces in the Church. Most people will give friends, pastors, and churches the freedom to challenge them in every other area of their lives. It appears most of the time that this area is off limits. Therefore most pastors and churches shy away from hitting the topic head on. The result? People live in bondage. The statistics are clear. The level of debt and financial pressure that most people live with us overwhelming. The lack of margin holds us back and forces us to live with an unnecessary pressure.

What if we had more margin? What if we were more free? What could I do? What could you do? What could we do together?

I long to be more free.
I long for others to be more free as well. I believe that cannot happen unless we get open and honest about money. I am glad the Bible isn't silent on the topic. I am looking forward to Sunday!

I read a great article this week that speaks directly to building financial margin and gaining more financial freedom. I am convinced that more financial margin means less financial stress.

Personally, I want more margin so I can be more generous. I firmly believe tithing (giving 10% of your income back to God) is the bare minimum. I have always been a person driven to exceed expectations. There is a deep passion brewing within me to extend my family's ability to bless others. For that to be the case, there must be more margin!

I hope you get to have as much fun this weekend as I will. If you are around Journey Church on Sunday I hope you walk away more free! If you cannot be there then check out the Journey podcast.

No comments: