Thursday, February 08, 2007

That's Normal Here


A great deal of ink has been spilt unpacking the power of word of mouth marketing. It is interesting to me how people read this kind of material like it is a new idea. The idea and power of WOMM has been in place for a very long time.

It is clearly one of the ways Jesus intended to advance His redemptive cause in the world. Mark 16:15 is one place where Jesus clearly communicated that, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation." It is really a simple idea: have a good experience and share it with others. It has the potential to spread like a virus working its way through a first grade classroom.

I have never been able to get past the question of why the Church doesn't advance with more force. In most churches I encountered, it isn't normative behavior for people not to invite their disconnected friends. I have often wondered why that was the case. I have a list of answers, but I'll save that for another post.

One of my biggest passions for Journey Church is that it will be a place where it is normal that people invite their friends. I have been thrilled to watch so many at Journey make a connection (to Journey and/or Christ) only to quickly and passionately invite their friends. I pray this trend continues. I pray it happens with greater force in the days ahead. We'll invest a great deal of energy to ensure that is the case.

No comments: