Thursday, May 03, 2007

Teaching In Series

For the past sixteen months at Journey Church, I have taught in series format. I have taken one topic and tried to unpack it over three to six weeks. I love teaching in a series format for several reasons:

1. It allows me to hammer home one BIG idea over several weeks. Less really is more.
2. I love the way each talk is either connected or builds on the other. This allows me to say more in a shorter amount of time.
3. It provides an easy way to review, review, review. What gets repeated has a better chance of being remembered and learned.
4. It creates short journeys for our community to take together. Everyone wants to go somewhere. Each series is designed to lead our community to a certain "place."

These thoughts were on my mind today as I was prepping for Sunday's talk. This one will be the last talk in our Exposed series. It has been a powerful journey. This series has generated more feedback than any we have done. It's been fun!

Sunday's talk is Addiction [Exposed]. This will be a difficult topic to address due to the time limitations. I have clarity on what God wants shared. I can't wait for Sunday!

I am kind of sad the journey has to end. Good news is, a new series begins next weekend and the process starts all over again. I can't believe I get to do this for a living. What a ride!

No comments: