Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Preaching Clinic Takeaways

In many ways, the preaching clinic was a refresher on some things I already knew. Sometimes we simply need to be reminded of some core ideas. Here are three of those core ideas presenters shared that really hit home with me as it relates to preaching.

"If you are full-time and do not have the time then you do not deserve the time." This statement was made in the context of making time for study and preparation. Even though I am a full-time pastor, it is so easy to packed the calendar so full that preparation time gets pushed too far down the priority list. It never gets old being challenged to be fully prepared for the preaching task.

A similar statement was made that was a powerful idea to connect to the statement above. Another presenter said, "Expecting your personality to cover a lack of preparation is a sin." There is no need to expound on that. Needless to say, I walked away challenged to protect my study and sermon preparation time. Again, it never gets old being challenged to protect and grow in that way as a communicator.

As a preacher, I am big on communicating. I do not simply want to talk to people. I want to connect with people. Another presenter made this statement that also provided a great reminder that needs to be kept in view, "We must understand the thought patterns of our time in order to preach to the people of our time."

There were certainly more takeaways, but these three continue to ring in my mind and heart. Again, I am glad I made the trip.

No comments: